Saturday, March 05, 2005

Crispy Chicken Wings

I always use my George Foreman grill when I cook chicken wings. They always come out very tasty so why change what works right? Perhaps the planets where aligned in some weird way, but a few weeks ago, I decided to cook chicken wings using a slow cooker. The slow cooker that we got came with a recipe book and there was a recipe for Five spice chicken wings. I thought why not try it to see what it would taste like. After two hours of cooking, I can say that it was a bad move. The recipe asked for a bottle of plum sauce. That made the dish a little sweet, instead of the usual salty flavour that I'm used to. Needless to say, it was not very popular with my wife and sister, and hence it's still waiting to be eaten inside the fridge.

Not to be discouraged by the failed five spice chicken wings recipe, I bought more chicken wings to try my luck on another chicken wings recipe. To make the crispy chicken wings, I used the same mixture of seasoning as my grilled chicken wings: seasoning salt, paprika, and curry powder. Mix these well with the chicken wings and let it sit for a few minutes (I waited for half an hour) for the chicken to absorb some of the flavour. Pour some oil on the pan and put the seasoned chicken wings. You don't really need that much oil. One trick I learned from Bob Blummer (a.k.a. the Surreal Gourmet) is that you can apply some force on a meat to make the skin crispy. He used a brick (yes, construction brick wrapped in aluminum foil) to apply constant force to the meat when frying. Since I didn't have a brick, I used a smaller pan to apply some weight on the chicken wings. The end result was amazing, crispy skin and juicy meat.

The chicken tasted very good, my wife couldn't stop eating them (I had to stop her since I hadn't taken a picture of it yet). Feel free to change the seasoning since everyone has different taste. But I suggest you use the three ingredients I mentioned above first, and you can change it to suit your taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home