Saturday, February 19, 2005

Spicy Thai Pork

Instant seasonings or sauces are very popular for a lot of people, especially me. I have a whole box of assorted seasonings/sauces, some of which I don't even know how to use. McCormick is a popular spice brand but they also sell sauces. I tried their spicy sparerib sauce and I was impressed by how quick and delicious it tasted. It's unfortunate that I was the only one who appreciated it. My wife said it was too spicy. Perhaps I didn't mix it well since I thought it was not spicy at all.

Today I tried the spicy thai pork sauce. The sauce comes in power form and requires dissolving in some liquid. Normally the liquid will be water, but for this particular sauce, it required coconut milk. Luckily I had a couple cans sittin in the pantry so I didn't have a problem making this dish. Preparation was quite easy. I just cut pieces of spare ribs into individual pieces so that they can cook quickly (and easy to eat as well). The instruction asked me to brown the pork so I put some oil on a pan and dumped all the spare ribs in it. It takes a while to brown the ribs. I had to flip it until all sides are brown enough for me. You don't actually need to have this color, but it's important to cook the pork thoroughly. So at a minimum, you need to cook them until you don't see any pinkish color on the meat.

I mixed the dry sauce mix with a cup of coconut milk. I find that the best way to mix it is with a whisk. If I use a fork or a spoon, I usually can't get rid of some lumps. But if that works for you, then it's all good. Once the spare ribs are cook, dump the coconut sauce mixture. Cook further until the sauce thickens and that's it. I think it took a total of 10 minutes to cook the whole thing. Pretty quick especially if you are very hungry coming home from a long day at work. Just like any thai dish, it is best to serve this with rice. I like to pour some sauce on top of the rice. That way, I enjoy the flavour with every bite. For some garnish, I sprinkled some sesame seeds and place a few sprigs of parsley (totally optional).

I like the taste of the dish. I don't know how authentic it is, but as long as it taste good then, it's a keeper. And best of all, it's carefree cooking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home