Monday, February 14, 2005

Baby Bok Choi with Duck

Today is Valentines Day. Happy Valentines to everyone! While most people are out celebrating, my wife and I decided to order some yummy crab from a restaurant and just eat at home. Too boring you think? We actually enjoy this. We get to eat with our hands without having to worry about how messy things get, and we get to do it in front of the TV. I bought a lot of vegetables yesterday so I thought I'd quickly make something up. I grabed the bag of baby bok choi and started frying them. What I don't like about bok choi (and other similar vegetables) is that it is a pain to wash them thoroughly. The batch I got were relatively clean, but I still had to be careful. The bottom of the strainer had lots of sand when I was done with the rinsing.

I only know of one way of cooking bok choi - pan frying. So if anyone out there have other ways of cooking them, please let me know. A little bit of oil is all it takes to cover the entire pan. From what I have been told, the pan has to be really hot before you throw in the vegetables. Otherwise it will not come out ok. I usually just add salt to the vegetables when I pan fry them, but this time, I decided to be more adventurous. I looked through my fridge and found a bottle of black bean sauce. I think any sauce that is salty can work when pan frying vegetable. Some people put oyster flavour sauce on the vegetable to give the salty flavour.

We had some left over duck so I heated it up in the toaster oven. I like to heat the duck in the oven as it makes the skin slightly crispy. Microwaving is ok as well, but I only do that when I'm really hungry and can't wait. I didn't plan to put the two dishes together, but while plating the vegetable, it occured to me that the two dishes might go well together. It's the first time I've paid attention to presentation but I think it does look more appetizing this way. Normally I would just pile all the vegetables on a plate and that was it. Anyways, send me your comments or any similar recipe ideas.



Ingredients List:
1. A pack of baby bok choi
2. Some left over duck. Any leftover meat would work well, just cut them to bite size pieces
3. A bit of oil to coat the bottom of the pan
4. Black Bean Sauce (salt would be sufficient as well)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home