Sunday, December 31, 2006

Korean Style Beef Stew


When I was small, I love korean beef stew. I would always get that whenever we go to the foodcourt to eat (this was in the Philippines). When I came to Canada, couldn't find that dish ina any of the Korean restaurants that I went to. That's when I realized that perhaps this is not an authentic Korean dish, but rather a fusion of Filipino and Korean cuisines. In any case, I found a website that had the recipe.

I tried the recipe as is a few times. It was very good, but I find that there's too much liquid (although that's one of the main appeal of the recipe). I think it would taste better if the liquid was reduced so that it's thick and rich. That would match the beef very well. So after a few tries, I have it to where it's just right for my taste.


Beef ribs (as many as you want to cook or as many as the pot can hold)
1 whole garlic
1 whole onion
Soy sauce
Sugar
Chili (flakes or freshly cut)
Salt to taste
Put all the beef inside the pot and fill it with water until it just covers all the meat. Cook for half an hour over medium heat and skim all the stuff that floats on top. Add garlic, onion, soy sauce, sugar, and chili. The amound of soy sauce depends on how much water is in the pot. The rule that I follow is to add just enough to darken the liquid (give it a brownish color). Add a couple tablespoons of sugar. I always taste the liquid when I cook this dish. Remember, everyone has different taste so adjust accordingly. Note that the liquid does not need to be perfectly seasoned at this point since the liquid will be reduced at a later time (flavor will get concentrated). Cook at low heat for 2.5-3hrs. You'll know when it's done when the meat falls off the bone and becomes very tender. Take out all the meat and and any non liquid ingredients from the pot (e.g. garlic, onion, bones). If you are health concious like I am, right now is the best time to take out all the fat from the liquid. I use a gravy separator to do this, but you can cool down the liquid in the fridge until the fat solidifies and skim it off. Reduce the liquid to half the volume. Season to taste at this point. Do not be tempted to put more soy souce. Add more salt instead if saltiness is desired. The sauce should have a mild saltiness and sweetness to it. So balance the amound of salt/sugar. After the sauce has reduced, pour the beef back into the pan so that the sauce can coat the meat thoroughly. Serve immediately.

Sesame seed can be optionally added just before being served. Best way to eat it is with plain white rice. If you get a chance to try this, let me know how you like it.