Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Summer Salad


I got the inspiration for this while watching Chef at Home by Michael Smith. After multiple iterations, I have finalized on the recipe that everyone in my family likes. I'm so proud of this that I've named it after my daughter, Summer.

I was tired of eating the same type of salad every time. The usual green leafy vegetables(lettuce, spinach, etc) are getting a bit too boring even though I've changed the dressing that I use each time. When I saw Chef Smith make this on TV (it wasn't meant to be a salad but rather a filling for a wrap), I got excited. I knew that this one had the potential of replacing the boring standard salad that I've been having.

Summer Salad is very very easy to make. It's just a mixture of ingredients that I like, followed by a tasty dressing that anyone can make at home. Below is a list of ingredients that I always use (you can add or take out ingredients based on your preference).



  • 1 can Garbanzo beans, drained

  • 1 can mandarin orange slices, drained

  • 1 can corn kernel (not cream styled corn), drained

  • 2 Green Onions, finely chopped

  • 1/2 bunch Cilantro, finely chopped

Make sure all the ingredients are well drained. Otherwise the liquid will dilute the dressing and will make it hard for the dressing to stick to the ingredients. I just put everything in a strainer/colander and leave it there for a few minutes. For the mandarin slices, you can either get whole slices, or chunks. I always go for the chunks variety since they are cheaper and the mandarin slices are not meant for decoration.


For the dressing, the following ingredients are needed.



  • Mayonnaise

  • Horseradish mayonnaise or Dijon mustard

  • Salt

  • Pepper

I don't have any exact measurements for the dressing (since I don't usually measure when I cook - that's not the carefree way). But I would say half mayonnaise and half horseradish mayonnaise. If you can't find Horseradish mayonnaise (I use the PC brand from Superstore), a few spoons of Dijon mustard should do. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Pour the dressing on the dry ingredients and serve. The salad taste even better when left overnight as it gives the flavours time to be properly mixed.


Not only can this dish be eaten on its own just like a salad, but it can be used just like a salsa (a side dish for meat or dips for chips). A dish so versatile...that's carefree cooking at its best.

1 Comments:

At April 12, 2011 11:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Howdy!
I love your creativity and not settling for the usual way of making salads. When you able to come up to your own recipe, it really pay off...you can name your recipe (just like what you did), you can freely add whatever stuff you like and nutritious dressing of your choice. Just like the horseradish mayonnaise - high in Calcium and potassium.
Keep posting and always have a carefree cooking!
- EDS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home