Saturday, December 02, 2006

Hash Browns Carefree Style


When I was young, I would think of this patty like goodness that McDonalds sell whenever I hear hash browns. For the longest time, I didn't think hash browns were served any other way. But now that I'm more informed, I can play around with it to give it more depth and dimension.

My sister actually started this, I just modified the recipe a little bit. Here are the simple ingredients.


  • 1 spud (potato), sliced to small cubes

  • A couple green onion, chopped

  • Half (or whole) onion, depends on how much you like it

  • Salt

  • Pepper

  • Paprika

  • Chili Powder

  • Curry Powder

I like to cut everything up before I start cooking (mise en place). This way, there's no danger of overcooking what's in the pan while I'm cutting/chopping other ingredients. Put a little oil (olive) on a pan and brown the potato. Set aside. Put a little more oil and caramelize the onions (cook in a little bit of oil until the color turns brown and taste sweet). Halfway through the caramelization process, put the green onions. Finally, put the potatoes back into the pan and mix everything. Add the paprika, chili powder, and curry powder (if in doubt, add a teaspoon of each). Add salt and pepper to taste.


Serve with your favourite breakfast food (I like it with egg and ham) and this will guarantee a good start to your day.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home